The Ross Valley Flood Protection and Watershed Program was established after the flooding that occurred in Ross Valley during December 2005. The floods caused nearly $95 million in damages in the communities of Fairfax, San Anselmo, Ross, Kentfield and Larkspur.
The program is a regional effort led by the Marin County Flood Control and Water Conservation District. The objective to substantially reduce the frequency and severity of flooding throughout the Ross Valley Watershed, in an economically viable manner while prioritizing public safety and minimizing environmental impacts.
The Flood Control District works towards this objective through these actions:
- Reduce and attenuate flows by increasing floodplain detention storage and stormwater infiltration
- Increase creek and floodplain capacity to convey floodwaters by:
- Enlarging some channels through the removal, modification or replacement of existing obstructions to flow, such as structures or bridges
- Containing flood flows as they move through the watershed
- Conducting regular creek and channel maintenance
- Community flood education including flood preparedness real-time rain and stream monitoring, flood response checklists and information
Zone 9 is located within the Ross Valley watershed.
The Zone is overseen by a seven-member Advisory Board. They meet annually during the second week of May at various locations throughout Ross Valley. The Advisory Board may:
- Cancel a meeting by announcing the cancellation of the meeting
- Call special meetings, with proper notice, if the need arises
One member each appointed by the City of Larkspur, Town of Ross, Town of San Anselmo, and the Town of Fairfax, and three members appointed by the County Board of Supervisors as At-Large members from the unincorporated area of Flood Control Zone 9. All members live within the zone's boundaries. Advisory Board members are appointed to serve a 4-year term.
|Bruce Ackerman||Fairfax||January 2022|
|Sandra Guldman||At-large||March 2022|
|Richard Gumbiner||At-large||October 2022|
|Dan Hillmer||Larkspur||January 2020|
|Peter Hogg||At-large||September 2023|
|Ford Greene||San Anselmo||December 2021|
- Phone: (415) 473-6528
- Contact us by email